Monday, December 6, 2010

Welcome to The Click-Clack Lounge

I've opened a window to my life. I love all things vintage and retro. All things quirky...and I'm coming out of a hoarding quarter century.

How does a girl with a shocking Flu become the owner of a life-saving "operation" called The Click-Clack Lounge?....Read on...

As I lay in bed with a temperature which could kill a hippopotamus, causing me to hallucinate, I stared in disbelief at the Tretchikoff print "Miss Wong" on my bedroom wall,  transforming into a real life Hair Model. Her raven black hair flowed over her shoulders as her blue face curled into a crazy smirk.

I rolled over to prevent paranoia, which allowed my Fairy Flumother to catch me off-guard. She whispered into my ear.... "what are you doing with all this "stuff". How many tiki bars can a girl own? How many bums does a girl have to allow her to sit on the huge collection of saucer chairs you have stashed downstairs...?

As I crawled out of my sick bed in a lather of sweat, I went from room to room taking in the array of "stuff" I had collected over the past 20 or so years.

I opened cupboards to find 10 Sunbeam mixmaster bowls - eventhough I only have 1 Sunbeam Mixmaster. To find a pile of aprons to rival the Masterchef kitchen. To find so many pastel plates I could supply my own cafe 5 times over.

I ventured under the house to find enough "stuff" to provide a small suburb with enough furniture for each of their residents to furnish their homes comfortably.

There was only one thing to do - GET BUSY SELLING....

I tried selling at a garage sale, only to have Antique Dealers arrive as the sun rose.

I tried selling on eBay, but the production designer/merchandiser in me needed to express herself in a way more tactile.

Then, a light bulb moment. With my passion, experience and knowledge of all things of Vintage fabulousness.......I decided to bite the bullet and start my own Business.

One week later, I was registering my business name  as "The Click-Clack Lounge". My name was chosen as it reminded me of the place I would sleep at my Grandparents when I was little. On a fabulous maroon, gold and white vinyl flecked pull-out lounge.

Weeks went by quickly as I worked like an Elf at Christmas time, preparing treasures to stock in "The Lounge".

Each week I would be torn between "keep" or "sell" - knowing that many of my "babies" would never be found or seen again.

BUT, I haven't looked back - I've even made some space for another collection of saucer chairs.....

No comments:

Post a Comment